Monday, August 20, 2007

still getting my feet wet

Week two is almost over. I am still getting my feet wet in this strange and new country, but everyday something makes it feel a little bit more like home. I am used to seeing everything written in Korean (still cannot understand it), smellling kimchee, fish, and other strange smells on my quick walk to work, and crossing the street in hopes of making it alive to the other side. I like that I am starting to casually toss Korean phrases into my everyday vernacular. (Including Canadian and South African phrases-eh!) I look forward to slinking into my hard bed at the end of an arduous day of teaching, running with my cross country team, and trying a new restaurant somewhere near the school. Life is good thus far in Korea.

During the last two weeks I have encountered many unique cultural experiences in Korea. I have savored many new dishes at the local restaurants near school. My favorite food here for some reason is pickled radish. I absolutely LOVE pickled radish. My new friends think I am crazy, but luckily they serve it at every meal and no one touches it. I guess it just means more for me. I still cannot handle spice, but put on a brave face and swallow it fast. Mul (water) is gulped down very quickly after eating! I went to my first Korean baseball, but ending up talking and not paying attention throughout the entire game. Not much changes with me and pro sports. My cousin took to me to the Korean bath house for some chat time in the sauna and hot tubs. You'll have to call me to get more details on my experience there. :)
I went to Seoul with four other girls from school for shopping and dancing last weekend. We visited the neighborhoods of Itaweon (the foreigner's district), Insadong (great market!), and the Coex Mall. I definitely ran out of Korean won, but a trip to an English speaking bookstore was worth the entire trip. Well, maybe the pastrami sandwich in Itaewon was worth it as well....

My favorite thing I have experienced so far is the people. I walked into TCIS with ten other new teachers and an instant bond was formed. We share meals, lesson plans, and participate in a bible study together. I could not have come at a better time. I also love getting to know my extended family. My cousin Kirsten and her parents work at the school. It has been such a delight to play basketball with her and go out for endless mocha shakes. I have also managed to make a new Korean friend named Hyun Ju. She took me downtown for dinner and some shopping on Monday. She is shaky with her English but so excited to speak with a foreigner!

Week three is coming up fast. I look forward to a "family fun day" with the staff on Saturday morning, an afternoon of pottery making ,and norebang in the evening. Somewhere in all this excitement I will attempt to lesson plan. :)

No comments: