Saturday, August 11, 2007

il, e, sam......

The last few weeks have been joyous, spontaneous, aggravating, frustrating, and completely awe-inspiring. Everything here feels so new and exciting I can hardly contain myself sometimes. Other times I feel absolutely overwhelmed, burst into tears, and want to take the next flight home. People that have traveled and lived abroad say this is completely normal. Who knew a rollercoaster of emotions would be universally felt by so many?!

In an effort to detour this blog from becoming my pensive journal, I intend to share some cultural experiences and lessons with the infamous top ten list since I have arrived in Daejeon almost two weeks.

1. eating octopus during the shabu-shabu dinner (a bit chewy and tasted like chicken)
2. singing Korean style of karaoke- called naribong- so glad to know I can sing to Britney Spears and do my dance moves in another country
3. cars win. pedesterians don't. kamikaze corner is a block from our school. great.
4. separating garbage to a point of insanity, yet there is garbage all over the streets. haven't figure out that one.
5. it's rude to blow or even touch your nose in public, but spitting in widely accepted, even encouraged. i truly love korea for the reason alone.
6. everyone points and stares, but it is ok. i can't help but feel famous when all the little children in my apartment complex yell out "HI" in english and i respond back with hello in korean. they giggle ridiculously
7. eating kimchee and fish soup for breakfast. i think i will stick with oatmeal and save the rest for dinner.
8. bowling in korea- the shoes still smell!!!!
9. people- i now have friends that are korean, korean-american, korean-canadian, south african, australian, indian, canadian, chinese-canadian, and american (even a few from minnesota!) the cultural diversity is refreshing and amazing
10. chusok vacation coming up at the end of september....the struggle of choosing between Thailand or the Korean island of Jeju for my week long vacation.....

School starts on Monday and I look forward to finally meeting my students. I am somewhat prepared, but I only teach two classes on Monday. I love this schedule! Pictures to follow soon!

No comments: