Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Seoul-the city that never sleeps- including its wagukin visitors

Seoul adventure #9 transpired over Thanksgiving weekend, and this one has topped them all thus far. I eagerly traipsed up to Seoul for a random night of who-knows- what with my good friends Meredith, DJ, and the infamous Hagwon Don. We were going to stay with a friend of Hagwon Don, but ended up staying at a local jimjilbong. I am not sure how EXACTLY to describe these places, but its a 24 hotel/bathhouse/sauna/random escapist paradise for Koreans. I enjoy going to use the sauna, but I have never slept in one before. I was not too keen on the idea, but peer pressure got the the better of me. Most "jims" don't allow its patrons to leave their belongings and come back, but our lucky stars were aligned. The four of us headed to a local jazz bar that was VERY COOL. I haven't attended many jazz clubs, but this was quaint, intimate, smoky, and just downright hip. We hung out till around 2 am, then went on a search for hotteuk. (A pancake filled with brown sugar and nuts-very delicious!) I got the brilliant idea to head to the night market and fulfill my "purse envy" of Meredith's trendy flowered bag. The purse store was closed, but pictures of brilliant Christmas lights were taken and hotteuk was found. Game over, we win the search for nutty pankcakes.

Much to my surprise (and slight dismay),the night was NOT over. It was time to find a place to sleep at the "jim". The establishment provides a pair of pajamas and towels to use for sleep or sauna. Meredith and I got ready to find a place to sleep, but it was PACKED. People were sleeping ON THE FLOOR with tiny cushions to support their heads. Except there weren't any cushions left. I charged back into the locker room, got some jackets and my ipod, and wriggled my way onto the floor. I managed to swipe two cushions from some unsuspecting Koreans. I was doing ok, but then DJ found us and summoned us over into the computer room. Sweet! The four of us snuggled into a darkened room with two other Korean men for a night of "sleep". The precious hour of REM lasted 52 minutes. Believe me, I counted! I managed to find a spot between someone's hairy foot and oddly muscular calf, but suprisingly drifted off to sleep right away.

The rest of the day was spent shopping for books, journals, and having tea with birds uttering Korean hellos in the background. Every corner I turn there is always something new to see. The city of 10 million never ceases to amaze. I anticipate and drool over any chance I can go into the city. I even look forward to "sleeping" at a jimjilbong again. Preferably one with beds, but I guess another set of hairy feet aren't that bad. :)

No comments: