Monday, November 12, 2007

Oh the places you'll go!

It's cold in Korea. Finally. I cannot believe I am admitting this, but I hunger for the seasons to change. The slow ebb of fall crept into Korea quietly, then exploded into a wonderful palette of crimson reds, appleish yellows, and fiery burnt oranges. I could not WAIT for a free weekend to get out of my sleepy little city and into the arms of nature. (Yes, Mom, I did see some "tree maidens" on the way. I am finally starting to look at the window when I ride in a car/bus!)

Two weekends ago I hosted a French toast breakfast for a few of my new island friends that came into town to visit. Keep in mind I didn't actually COOK anything, but provided the food, eating space, and scintillating conversation. I dread the day when I will actually have to add cooking food to my repertoire as a hostess.
After breakfast, I headed with twelve other teachers to Songnisan National Park. It boasts of a giant golden Buddha, a hermitage where female monks used to dwell, and amazing fall colors. I was salivating at the chance to see nature at her finest.

Upon our arrival, a half hour walk into the forest led us to the golden Buddha, including every resident within an hour of the park. It was PACKED! Someone muttered once to me I should avoid any Korean national parks on a Saturday. Numerous Koreans were decked out in the latest hiking outfit and boots. I felt shabby in my purple fleece jacket! I am beginning to see why I should wait to travel to a park on a random Tuesday. My friends and I were desperate for some quiet. We traveled up to a hermitage where female monks used to live. We finally found a quiet path, soaked in the silence by walking quietly up the hill, then began throwing leaves at one another. So much for the solitude. :) Upon our arrival at the hermitage, I heard some female monks chanting. It was a peculiar sound coming from a human being. The guttural echoes of their prayers sounded vastly different from my own. I couldn't help but listen in utter curiosity.

On the way back we stopped to see the golden Buddha. I don't understand the draw to Buddhism. He just looks like a big, fat guy to me. Doesn't the Eightfold Path teach about balance and temperance? Buddha sure didn't worry about his waistline.

I continue on my own search with Christianity. I am learning about discipline, prayer, and seeing God/Jesus/Holy Spirit as something more than a myth. It's a slow progression, but I am enjoying taking an intellectual approach to my faith. Some aspects finally make sense for the first time; others still baffle me. I guess it really is a life-long journey. I think it is cool that Jesus was a carpenter! :)

No comments: