Sunday, February 24, 2008

The sun still rises for the old man and the sea.....

Hemingway was a genius. Perhaps a bit of a drunk, but an absolute genius. Heck, there is even a six-fingered cat named after him. He managed to write one of his great literary works in six words. That's right, six words. Here is the story.

"For sale: baby shoes, never worn".

I think you can appreciate his literary prowess. To help my students understand the power of words, I taught them to write their own six word stories. It was a great day to class to see their young, ingenious minds concoting some ridiculous stories. Here are some of my favorites!!

"Yes, you look fat," Relationship over."
"Took SAT. Failed. Mom planning funeral."

Since imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I decide to write a few stories of my own to further describe my life here.
Enjoy!

Six weeks. No traveling. Money still disappears.
No Valentine's date. Impulse haircut instead!
German friends leave. Find new friends.
Tall woman. Miniature sled. Broken ego.
Yellow dust comes. * Cough!* Automatically dead.

1 comment:

Aubrey said...

My favorite of your 6 word poems is the "tall woman" one. Too funny.